Monday 5 September 2011

We Can Work It Out

Identifying typefaces from a magazine initially didn't sound the most thrilling of activities. However, it did make me actually look at the typefaces used in magazines, rather than just reading them.

I like the appearance of BBC Music Magazine and so used this.


What surprised me was that the designers changed typeface when moving from headline to the main body of text, and from headline to sub-heading to sub-sub(?) heading to body of text. The changes also included movement between serif and sans serif - and back again.


I also liked the way different articles used different typefaces in order to stand out. A particularly good example is the Liszt article (below).


Variations were also provided by adverts, with the advertiser wanting to both stand out and promote their identity. I liked the EMI advert (below) which I think is either AG Book BQ or Helvetica. I personally prefer it when advertisements stand out. I have noticed a trend towards advertisers using the same typeface as the magazine to blend in with the articles, although I personally feel a bit conned and resolve not to buy the product.


Although there is always a danger that too many advertisements, or too much varying of typefaces, may dilute the brand or identity of a publication I think the right balance was truck in the magazine I chose. The exercise has certainly made me more aware of the variety of typefaces used, even within a single object, poster or product - and the way typefaces are used for various purposes such as display, titles, headings, main  text, summary, captions, contrast, etc. It was also noticeable that where the typeface didn't vary, other factors such as colour or size of text were utilised for contrast/to maintain interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment