Wednesday 21 September 2011

Two Of Us

Trying to copy one of the page designs I really liked proved more difficult that I'd anticipated - probably because I was trying to copy something exactly, rather than achieve an image in my head or from a rough draft- which is often less precise.

However, this exercise really made me think about the range of typefaces on what was, at first glance, a fairly uniform design. What has surprised me is that the copy has retained the beaury of the original. I was intersted in the extent to which the loss of the central image would affect the overall effect - the fact that the  page has, for me, lost none of its beauty suggests how much of  the appeal is attributable to the layout and the typefaces used - Baskerville (headline and body), Georgia Italics, and a sans typeface similar to Myriad (for captions).

What also sturck me was how many variables there are in just one page of a newspaper - three of four typefaces to select, column number and widths, how to justify the text, image placement, spacing of paragraphs, spacing of headlines and subheaders, etc.

Lorum Ipsum copy

FT Original


No comments:

Post a Comment