Sunday 28 August 2011

Twist and Shout

This section looks at typography, and in the first exercise a series of words had to be represented with the typography reflecting the meaning of the words.

Up to this point I have been using mainly Photoshop so I was keen to start using Illustrator more extensively. For me this exercise was as much about starting to explore the range of effects available in Illustrator as working with type.

I have posted the ten words I feel were the most successful and why.

The nature of the word shy needed something simple. The typeface was perfect for this with the inwardly bending upstroke of the 'h' curling back on itself and the tail of the 'y' hiding in the corner. It needed something more and the parentheses seemed perfect. It was pretty obvious where the word needed to go on the page.    


I was still learning my way around Illustrator at this point but I like the sparky edges to 'sardonic'.


'Shattered' was a good example of finding a tool (slice) through necessity. Looking back, would be nice to add a glass effect now.


Starting to get into it now and was able to start playing around with the shape of the text.



Another (subtler) example of playing around with the shape and outlines of the text.


I really enjoyed this one. Started to look at glows, blurs and other effects at this stage.


Bit disappointed with this one. Couldn't quite achieve the glowing neon effect I was hoping for (although typeface was ideal). Will probably revisit this one along with shattered at some point.



Enjoyed 'speed' but probably a lot to do with the fun I had with the colours and shadow effect.

 
Bit more confident with the effects now. It seemed to be missing something. At the last minute I decided to add a thin stroke for definition and it really seemed to bring out the 'squueze' effect.


My favourite. Used a lot of the skills I'd learnt but I'm pleased it's not over the top or showy. Could have gone all trippy but wanted to retain a dopey dreaminess in keeping with the meaning of the word.


               

No comments:

Post a Comment