Sunday 15 May 2011

Anthology 1

So far I'm finding this part of the course very rewarding. Thinking about the images and objects I've chosen so far, a recurring theme of the things I admire seems to be colour: careful use of strong colour and tones is so important and is integral to good design. However, I think I also admire simplicity and like to see a good composition or idea as the focal point without any unnecessary distractions.

I've split the next part of the blog into three parts: Anthology 1, 2 and 3 which will cover my favourite pieces from the history of graphic design. As with the previous entries, I hope I will gain further insights into what it is I admire about certain designers and works, and I'm already thinking about how this might now influence my own work.

As much as anything I'd like these posts to be a quick reference guide so I'll be using very brief tags for each.
Early Typography

Key three word banner, simple colours. Big white border, framing by 'I'. 


Organic, tumbling, intricate


Art Nouveau

Irregular, squares as spaces, no gaps between words. Like a stonemason.

Sloping 'G', letters like bubbles, bending, curling and bulging. 

Letters filling blocks, letter shapes out of lines.
Swirls fill the space, looping around the single central figure.


Letters breaking out of their confines like the roots and branches of trees. 'O's growing, taking off, 'N' bending back into the organism.  

Balanced use of colour, lovely tones.


Great tones and detail.

Amazing use of colour. Perfectly balanced picture. Love the thin columns linking the top and bottom darker areas. 


Letters look like they're made out of tendrils. Thick and thin contrast - playful, adds to a sense of movement, a living quality.

Lovely idea. Hair perfect for the organic, natural swirls of Art Nouveau.

Love the bold use of space.


Epic. Fantastic detail, love the wash of orange that illuminates the  black of the lettering and illustration.
  
Colours/tones great, like the balancing of the staff and woman and flash of red.from her hair to offset the dominance of the blue.

De Stijl



Colours, tones, balance.

Bauhaus

Soft curves nicely balanced with the clipped ends of the letters.  



Modernism



Great idea. Close up of the ball really draws the eye in.Brilliantly balanced by the lines of the tennis court.

Love the angle of the ship: it looms above you. Great idea to have the waterline as a split with the typography beneath the waterline - keeps all the attention on the ship.

Love the lower case and the way it incorporates upper case forms. The 'Q' and 'G' are fantastic. 

Wonderful use of colour. Love the angled ellipse of the parasol. Really draws the eye in.

No comments:

Post a Comment